June 12, 2012

"A survivor's report" Oz Bulletin no. 146


“It was one May as we hadn't seen for many years, freezing cold and with no sun, sporadically lit by ghastly rays of light that fell disconsolate from narrow cracks among the imperishable clouds. Clouds brought by the Great Winter, by the war. I used to go out only when I was compelled to, to buy a pack of flour at the market of the dwarves in the neighborhood of the cemetery. I will never forget that day, though. I'd been stopped by a patrol of the soldiers of the regime, fierce wolves in uniforms, dreaded because of their custom of assaulting anyone, even before interrogating him. I started running then, and I got lost among alleys I had never seen. I could hear the panting shouts of the soldiers gaining ground behind me. I ended up in a dead end, no way out. I thought I was lost, when suddenly a passage opened in the floor, under the snow. I saw an old woman with lively blue eyes, exhorting me to follow her. Without thinking twice, i jumped into the secret passage that was closed again right over my head. We started walking among the entangled underground streets of the town, the howling of the soldiers far and far away. I could finally sigh with relief. I thanked my saviour and I asked her were we were going. - To a special place, where we can talk. The last safe house in Wintertown – she said, in a reassuring way.” 

Source: Oz Bulletin, n.146, p.4, quote: “A survivor's report” 
Year IV AAC (fourth year after the Autumn Conflict)

No comments:

Post a Comment